I could probably come up with a list of hundreds of excuses that I hear about why someone can’t exercise (and they really believe it’s a can’t, they never just come down and say won’t, or refuse to, it’s always a can’t, taking the blame off of themselves while they continue to complain about where they are). But here are a couple that I thought you might enjoy.
1. I dont have time: This is probably the biggest excuse that I hear, and for most people it doesnt hold water. Everyone has the same amount of time per day, we just choose what is important to us. Now if you choose to watch tv for 3 hours a night, or you choose to play on Facebook, or you choose to go out to the bar, or whatever you choose, you are saying that those things are important to you. They are what you are committing your time to. I could easily say that I dont have time to learn to play the trombone. But if learning to play the trombone was important to me, then I would make time for it. The truth is though, I have no interest in learning to play the trombone.
2. Exercise is tiring. Of course it is. It’s something that your body isnt used to. It’s like anything, there is a learning curve to it. Sitting on the couch complaining that exercising is tiring isn’t going to make it any less tiring. Getting up and putting your big boy or big girl pants on and doing it is what is going to make it easier. What do you want to do, hire someone to do it for you? Or take a pill and make it easy? Oh… wait… yea… forgot where our culture is. For real, just go to the store and get you some big boy pants… it’ll be ok.
3. Training takes too long. Closely related to the “I dont have time” excuse. The idea is that whatever exercise takes up too much time, so there isnt enough time left to do other things. Beachbody has programs as short as 10 minutes. It’s not what I recommend, but certainly a little bit is much better than nothing. And often once people feel comfortable with getting 10 minutes in, they will bump it up to 20 minutes, or 30 minutes. The idea is, you need to start somewhere. So again, I dont know many people who cant find 10-30 minutes a day if they decide that it is important to them.
4. I Dont Have the Money. Love this one! Especially since I’m a coach for Beachbody. People hear the cost of Shakeology and say it’s too expensive, or they dont have the money, or they hear that P90X is $120. First things first. Shakeology is a meal REPLACEMENT shake. So chances are, you’re not spending more money if you’re actually replacing the meal. Especially if you’re ordering fast food or pizza. But lets say you really dont have any money to invest in your health. You dont need it! Eat clean, do some push ups, pull ups, jog. It’s all free as far as exercise goes. Most people just have a difficult time knowing what to do and when to do it, which is why Beachbody programs are so wonderful. P90X and other programs take you through, step by step every day what you need to do, like having a personal trainer every day.
5. You’re older? No more exercises? No More Excuses! This is true only if we refer to extremely demanding efforts (really heavy weights, fast running, jumping, etc.). There are lots of exercises adapted to different ages. Their purpose is to keep and improve health and also to improve physical shape. The development of movement parameters for older people refers especially to muscular and cardio-vascular resistance as well as mobility of the joints. Because the final purpose of training is not preparing for a competition, the exercises can be organized gradually according to their difficulty, eliminating the risk of accidents. Because it’s based on perseverance, fitness can be adapted without problems for older people and even for people suffering from different affections specific to old age. Beachbody has a program for everyone of every age.
So lets stop with the excuses and start moving towards goals!