I got blind sided by a question recently. Someone asked me “Are you happier that you’ve lost weight, is life better?”
I dont think I’m particularly smart. I’d like to say I’m of average intellegence. My mind did put the pieces of this puzzle together rather quickly though. Someone was asking me if I’m happier now that I’m thin. If life is somehow better. Which would be a very slippery slope to the next question of are thinner people happier and do they live better lives?
My gut reaction wanted to say no, of course life is not better now that I have lost weight. Life doesnt change. Its the same today as it was 80 pounds ago.
It’s not true though. And as reluctant as I was, I answered honestly.
Life has gotten unbelievably better. I’m not even sure that I could express all the ways but I’ll give it a shot.
- I have more energy
- I’m lighter
- I am healthier, dont have to worry about my risk of all the diseases related to being over weight
- I look better than I ever have
- My skin feels better
- I’ve gotten off anxiety medications
- I’ve quit smoking
- I sleep better
- I deal with stress so much better. Somehow when you get used to challenging yourself, challenges become easier
- I have more self confidence
- I am having a positive impact on people around me
- I am doing things I never even dreamed of, including running marathons
- I’m getting compliments from people all over
I’m sure it could be argued that I could have been some of those things while I was so overweight. Like a self confidence issue would have been over come by just embracing who I was and so on, but the flat out truth of it is, life has gotten so much better since I’ve lost so much weight and become healthy. I dont think people need excuses to hold on to being over weight, I think they need to realize that being healthy has so many incredible bonuses to it! Come on, learn how to eat right and put in a little bit of work and blam-o, you can have all this? I mean really, is it that hard?
I dont know about you, but I’m on board this train and loving it. It might be a tough pill for some to swallow, and some people might reject it all together, but as for me, yes, life is much better being thinner.